Friday, October 20, 2006

playing in position pt. 0, reasons for

Taking a break from looking at natural harmonics, let’s take a detour into fingerboard positions.

Playing in position is one of those staples of orthodox guitar technique (and the technique of many other string instruments). We all kinda have some notion what it is, but why do it? Candidate answers might include: (a) It facilitates faster playing, (b) it’s a more efficient or comfortable playing technique, or (c) once you memorize the positions, playing becomes easier.
There’s enough high-velocity players with extremely, let’s say, idiosyncratic techniques to throw serious doubt on (a). Given that everyone’s bodies are different, and guitars vary in shape and size, I’m always slightly suspicious of any claims of universal efficiency or comfort implied by (b).
As far as (c) goes, from a pedagogy standpoint, it is a popular answer. There’s a large amount of guitar tutor books and manuals that carry fingerboard diagrams of scales and arpeggios to be committed to memory. I’m skeptical. How many people can really be troubled to memorize every permutation of scales and arpeggios in a given position? And this approach may be fine when you’re dealing with a small number of patters (say, eight or nine permutations each of one major and one minor mode), but does it scale up? How many players find this ‘memorize and execute’ method useful? (That’s not a rhetorical question: I'm genuinely interested.)
I’m going to propose a slightly different reason for playing in position. To play in position is to prevent the guitarist (and their fingerboard hand) from getting lost. Position playing is a way of getting bearings, a method for practicing fingerboard gestures, and a framework for linking together small and large gestures. (BTW, I’m not claiming any universal utility, and I hope I’m not making a totalizing statement, but this does work for me, and I hope it will helpful in when we return to the topic of harmonics.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, is it okay to hold the guiter on a 70-89 degree while playing it sitting on a regular chair?

14 Years since posted... yeah...

the improvising guitarist said...

Is it okay to hold the guiter on a 70-89 degree while playing it sitting on a regular chair?

All I can ask is: are you comfortable playing in that position with that posture?

Otherwise, I’ll have to confess I’m not sure what angle the 70–89 degrees is denoting. But this does remind me of one of the old posts elsewhere here.

Thanks for reading.

tig

P.S. If you want an actual lesson or consultation, just let me know when you’re ready.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the 8-strings, Brahms Guitar virtuoso, seems like a very clunky instrument for me with its strings being too close together that you actually need to silence some strings with your pinky while playing it :D although underrated Mr. Paul is very charming with his instrument...

following up,
I used to play it traditionally , nesting it slightly upright in your crotch with the neck of the guitar facing upwards. But, for some reason I find it more comfortable when I put the Guitarra on my left leg (I'm right-handed) and holding it as vertical as possible with no right hand resting/support on guitar. For my posture, I try to keep my spine erect, my back being vertical.

I bookmarked your blog, I will be catching up from its old posts, read a few, They are really fun. So, thanks for that. About the consultation/lesson I do not want to bother you since, teaching people is delusive for an individual's time, yet very rewarding at the same time, a double-edged-sword of a deal. Yet, also If one teaches himself, most probably nowadays, reading some fine books or rummaging around the pile of scribbled data around the web and so forth... But, yeah mate, I will just be reading, for the rest, guitar is my solid friend on my times of recreation for my graphic creations.

Peace, The Anonymous who first commented on a 2006 post in 2019.

the improvising guitarist said...

Best wishes. And thanks for reading.