Wednesday, January 17, 2007

harmony is politics by other means

3 quarks daily has this little provocative jem. Anyway, the article quoted (‘Mapping Music’) is unfortunately tantilizingly vague due to the fact that it’s for a fluffy, light-weight, magazine.
So, it looks like I’ll have to wait until I can get my hands on the printed journal article which, I suspect and hope, will be a little meatier and less prone to ill considered and/or simplistic generalizations and comments (“sheet music… tells musicians very precisely which notes to play and when”). As it is, it’s impossible to tell whether Dmitri Tymoczko is an idiot who’s strayed way past his league, or he’s produced interesting work that’s much more reasonable, intelligent, and modest in its claims, than the fluffy, light-weight article makes out.
Either way, it would be fascinating to do a Latourian close reading of the work….

…By the way, the pictures do remind me, vaguely, of some psychoacoustics article/paper/book I encountered years ago. Any suggestions…?

No comments: