A very simple algorithm:
1. Choose ‘edgy,’ trendy words and phrases that the arts organizations currently love (e.g. ‘collaborative’, ‘sustainability’, ‘interdisciplinary’, ‘defamiliarize’, ‘hybrids’).
2. Lay those words down as if on a scrabble table.
2.5. Optional: get intoxicated / stoned.
3. Try linking those words to make sentences (actual resemblance to grammar is purely coincidental).
4. Make sure targets and goals are not measurable (how exactly can you compute ‘artistic practice’?).
5. Voila! A completed grant application for the arts.
…Yeah, I was talking to a theater stage manager who hit the nail on the head: “arts funding is turning artists into liars.” Too true.
Tuesday, April 08, 2008